Corpus Christi, Texas
Chapter
History of Executive Women International

Executive Women International was established in California in 1938 when Lucille Johnson Perkins recognized the importance and potential of an association of key women working with their executives to promote their firms and improve their community.

The organization achieved its "international" status when the first Canadian chapter was chartered in Calgary, Alberta in August 1964. During the 30th Annual Meeting of the corporation (May 1977), the organization's name was changed to "Executive Women International". This change reflects the international expansion of the organization and recognizes the changing roles of women in business and the diverse careers held by its representatives.

Over 3500 companies and 4000 representatives are members of EWI today in 85 chapters located in major cities in the United States, Canada, and Europe. EWI is the premier organization for networking and leadership development for today's professional businesswomen and their firms.

Chartered in 1983, the Corpus Christi Chapter Executive Women International has demonstrated a successful track record of bringing together our city's top firms and allowing their representatives the opportunity to meet, network and develop. Female executives are able to take advantage of their membership in EWI both locally and worldwide.

Milestones in EWI History

1938-Executive Secretaries Inc., the forerunner of Executive Women International held first meeting on March 8.

1964-First Canadian chapter chartered.

1974/5-Organization awarded the first scholarship.

1977-Name changed to Executive Women International.

1992-EWI targeted literacy as international philanthropy project.

1992-EWI's first European chapter chartered.

1992-ASIST Scholarship first awarded.

2001-Academy of Leadership offered training in leadership techniques that can be applied in the workplace.